Monday 27 January 2014

Saheliyon ki Bari - Udaipur,Rajasthan.




Saheliyon ki Bari or friends' gathering place is a pleasure garden in Udaipur, Rajasthan. This royal garden is also the most memorable place of my childhood. On the innumerable family holidays that I've spent in Udaipur then, saheliyon ki Bari is etched in my sub conscious.
The story goes that - It was built on the assertion of a princess by her father. She loved the rain and wanted to experience it allround the year and her dad obliged with this marvellous architectural, and engineering feat. Water from the nearby lake is brought to this place in ducts. The place is divided in 3 sections on the basis of the intensity of the rain. There are sprinklers and fountains giving away the sound of rain like nowhere, from light rain to heavy downpour. It is to be experienced to be believed. The whole effect transforms the place into such a lush, luxurious and aesthetically pleasing environment. The lotus ponds and exquisitely carved marble gazebos together bring a light headedness. It transfers one to era of royalty and royal leisurely life. This princess used to come here with all her friends and they used to experience it in it's full glory.
 





 
Even today when I remember the place, that gurgling sound of rain comes back to me, transforming me back to my childhood. And not just me, it could take everyone back to the time when everything is possible. One just has to wish for it.
In the same breath I also think of that king who took up the challenge of creating rain yearlong, amidst a desert where the seasonal rain too deludes once not too often. What is that feeling where a parent or a loved one does absolutely anything to bring pleasure on the child's face. Though to gift itself is a amusing activity, to do it with a child is pure delight.
My Bha(grandpa) was one such creature. I used to adore Chocobars in my childhood so much but everyone in the family used to restraint me, a cruelty only adults are capable of. Bha had this habit of talking a leisurely stroll mid mornings. On his way back he used to make a round of the market and even do some household shopping. Every alternate day he started taking me too on these walks. We both used to enjoy our Chocobars at one of my Bha's friend's restaurant. It was kind of a secret between the three of us. But inturn everyone at home got an inkling of the happenings. To everyone's utter surprise my grandpa used to absolutely block out the subject. In time everyone came to accept the unspoken word and my outings continued. I never understood the situation as it was then but now as I look back on those moments and the delightful smiles of Bha and me it engulfs me in a warm feeling of pure, unadulterated joy.

 

                                                                 
 


Udaipur: It became the capital of the Mewar region after Chittorgarh. The palaces are hence not in ruins, infact in all their royal glory. The city palace, the main residence of the royal family is grand and beautiful. The glass palace, the mor(peacock) chowk, the Krishna paintings or simply the colours explode your senses. The intricate jalis and all, one would just wish to live here. Udaipur also has the Lake Palace Hotel, again a place of my childhood memories.
The reason for our innumerable visits here is the nearby Keshriyaji in Dungarpur, our ancestral place. We still have our temple here and it takes the whole clan here on constant pilgrimage. Dungarpur was also an erstwhile kingdom. The famous cricket administrator, Raj Sinh Dongarpur comes from that royal family and even has his palace there, though now in ruins.

 
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Udaipur is one of my fav places in India and the thought of a father creating a garden for his daughter really excites me.