Friday 24 January 2014

End Part: On the way back home



August18th 2011

What was I doing yesterday? Since morning I was reflecting on it. I mean I was acting like a Roadies contestant given a task to cover as many places in a day to avoid elimination! It was so extremely tiring though not to say unenjoyable. But all the fatigue truly put me to probably the deepest sleep ever. And after the deep slumber of the night it is a miracle that I was up and ready for the Duronto at eight. 
The day though began with a while spent just viewing the Ganges and it's bridge and all the activity around it. This balcony was really an interesting place to go into a daze. And now, sitting alone here, looking out on the fast passing scenery, yesterday was playing out in my mind. First of all I had to acknowledge that my fascination for Calcutta took me to places more than the to-do list. Still I left out on as much as  I covered. That fascinating Banyan tree with its sheer expanse was where I wanted to go and sit under. I wanted to experience the slightly mystic Kalibari temple. And visit Rose Aylmer's tomb- A night of memories and of sighs! All this made me realised one can't see everything in a day, in spite of the strongest of the intents. And it isn't compulsory to do that too! A very useful insight for the future travels. But as it happens with even the most difficult of travel experiences, they trouble only when one is actually enduring them. On hindsight they are always a delight. And so I'll always cherish my day out in Cal. 
As I looked around after this reflection, I was alone. Every other fellow traveller was out sleeping somewhere. It amazes me that people use their train journeys to sleep, and sleep so more. As if covering all the lost naps in their lifetime. On the contrary for me it is this moment suspended in air where the passivity of the situation opens up our mind to anything and everything. From the immediate surroundings to the faraway world. Right now there was the Times lying around and I picked it up.
It is interesting to peep into the everyday happenings of the places one visits as a distant world. There was some main news about the apathy of citizens of Calcutta. Two youngsters, due to their own fault had come to an accident somewhere on a busy flyover. People had passed by without helping them out and it had created a furore. Isn't the hassle of helping out too small a price to pay for saving a human life. I wonder. Apart from that nothing much worth remembering.
In the meanwhile, there was a racket happening in the next compartment. They all looked like Bengalis, old couples. One moment they were playing cards, on the other they were having heated discussions and then on other sharing some jokes. The place was alive with the sound of their laughter. Listening to them I wondered what makes people share these moments?  In India 'regionalism' is quite strong, strengthened even more by a common language. Would they have included me if I was sitting with them? I can only speculate. I have often thought of learning the Bengali language, but how far will it take me in that society. Yes, I would be able to make friends with the delightful characters in their literature but would I move beyond the inanimate?
I hypothesise because though I'm born and brought up in Maharashtra, I speak the language too, I feel like an outsider, sometimes if not always. And as of being born as a Gujrati I have absolutely no connect with Gujrat. So it doesn't even matter if I'm included or not. All this weird groups in India really make me confused. Maybe I'll be known as the 'girl from nowhere'. Who went everywhere? Ha! Now that's a fab thought!
All these musings were interesting but now I was dying to talk to people. And by noon everyone was assembled around. There was one law student around, a Bengali uncle and one Sindhi aunty. This Bengali uncle really entertained us with all the gory details of the animal sacrifices at the famous Kalibari temple in Calcutta. Blood thirsty that I am I absolutely enjoyed it but I don't think that aunty liked it one bit. Gosh! What fun! So now she was again dozing off. I wondered if I should take matters in my hand and annoy her for a while. Just to liven her. But then maybe she would be just bored. Not worth the effort.
So forgetting about everyone around and everyone not around I was just happy with my thought-
The Girl from nowhere - who goes everywhere:-)

Some other corner of the world next time,if the world has corners....

No comments: